Great Woolley Grange Bake Off
The Great Woolley Grange Bake Off
Can you make a mean Victoria sponge? Are your decorated cakes a work of art almost too good to be eaten? Then you need to enter The Great Woolley Grange Bake Off.
There are 4 categories:
- The classic Victoria sandwich
- Best bake
- Decorated cake
- Children’s biscuit (under 13’s)
For the Victoria Sponge use the following recipe:
3 medium eggs weighed in their shells (probably 6oz/170g)
The weight of the eggs in Butter /Soft Margarine
The weight of the eggs in Caster Sugar
The weight of the eggs in SR Flour
Raspberry Jam to fill – home made/ good quality
1. Set oven Gas 4 160C (fan oven) or 180C
2. grease and base line the bottom of 2 20cm/8" sandwich tins
3. Cream butter/margarine and sugar
4. Beat the eggs then gradually add to the mixture beating well each time
5. Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture with a metal spoon
6. Divide equally between the 2 tins and bake 25mins in the middle of the oven.
7. They are ready when they are golden, shrunk from the sides of the tin and spring back when touched
8. Remove from the tins and fill with raspberry jam when cold to avoid jam bleeding into the cake
9. A light dusting of caster sugar will finish it.
Any tray bake of your choosing. A tray bake is defined as a type of cake or similar sweet food which is baked in a square or rectangular container and cut into individual pieces for serving. It can be iced or served plain.
The theme for the decorated cake competition is Summer Holidays. All cakes should reflect this theme.
Biscuits made by under 13’s. The recipe and design are up to you, have fun with it!
- All cakes must be in the judging tent no later than 11am on the morning of the 30th August 2014.
- All cakes must be clearly labelled on / under the base, using the slip below, stating
- Contact number / email
- If the owner wishes to donate the cake to the stall for sale
- All judging is carried out by an independent judge who is in no way affiliated to WGRA.
- All cakes must be the original work of the creator. Children may have assistance with the bake but all decoration must be their own work.
- No advertising, personal or business identifying marks, photo’s or special backdrops are permitted.
- The judges’ decision is final, no discussion will be entered into.
- Entrants may submit only one entry per category.
- Entrants may enter more than one category.